All Time Page Views

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Why Are Comics Not A Good Business?

 


It is not as though I have no ideas.  I get ideas -often full stories- day and night and often I have to do more technical work to stop the rush or I'd go insane. The problem is that the UK and comics in 2026 is so lacking interest in anything. Back pre 2000 we would buy zines, Indie comics, Undergrounds as well as mainstream comics.We gorged ourselves on everything that was appearing.

Today the "Small press" is all about little cliques that are very insular. You have to also tick all the right virtue signalling boxes. I'm white, male, 54% German and 16% French (that one crept up on me) and heterosexual. I am screwed. 😌

Posts on my blogs just -JUST- relating to my comics have views  totalling over 3 million. That is world wide and my online store makes it so simple to buy -view the books, buy in your local currency, use your local postal service and books are printed in your own country and the only thing missing is a free belly-rub for buying. Actaul sales? I could not afford to buy one of my own bopoks once the print on demand company has taken their cut and if I sold enough to have to I get US tax (but none of the benefits of that) taken.

I have the ideas and outlet but let's be honest I cannot draw everything and I don't have enough to pay artists. Face it even if creator-artist shared 50-50 from sales it ain't going to attracvt artists.

So it is now a case of let the ideas eat away at my brain and do what I can when I can.

Biggest mistake I made was not moving to Europe to work. I mean, you can buy my bopoks online all over Europe but for a creator Europe is far less isoplationist than the dried out UK comic scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment